Are we helpless against the flu?
Every now and then I realize how helpless people seem to think they are once it comes to preventing or treating illnesses - especially the flu. I hear stories or read articles where people beg the "government" to do something about the presence of these illnesses and that they do something about our body's ability to defend itself against them.
The wonderful thing about our society today is that the number of people interested in becoming "health self-reliant" is growing! People are recognizing that there are steps we can take to prevent acute and chronic illnesses from developing and there are solutions we can turn to, within the walls of our own home (or health food store), for illnesses such as the flu.
So what are some options for the flu that I personally turn to or use?
Preventative Options for the Flu:
- Nutrition (obviously) - Eat lots of fruits and veggies, less bad fats, less sugar, raw dairy, if possible.
- Vitamin D3 - It has been proven that D3 decreases the chance of getting the flu by up to 50%! In many cases, that's more effective than flu vaccinations. 5,000IU once a day - or 10,000IU during winter time. Decrease by half for children - or see Dr. Mercola's guide.
- There are two excellent homeopathic remedies that help you be less susceptible to getting the flu by building up your immune response to the flu. One clinic in our city has their doctors use Influenzinum during the flu season and they say that they've never had a doctor catch the flu in all the years that they've run their clinic. These two homeopathic remedies are:
- Influenzinum & Thymuline
- (Optional) - Elderberry - drink tea or take as capsules, daily when the flu is going around.
Solutions for an Active Case of the Flu:
- 50,000IU to 100,000IU vitamin D3, for an adult, once a day for a couple of days, when sickness hits. This is a large amount - no doubt. This was recommended to me by a doctor. It gives a huge boost to the immune system and because you're not taking that amount for long periods of time, you won't run into the negative side affects that comes with taking too much vitamin D. (Half of that dose or less can be given to children.)
- Umka Cold and Flu homeopathic remedy. Take according to instructions on package OR you can take Oscillococcinum pellets. Either of these can be found in most grocery stores and health food stores - or can be found online.
- Extra vitamin C and extra Zinc.
- Dr. Kyle Christensen's Immune Tincture - he shares this recipe in his herbal book.
- Or, instead of taking Dr. Christensen's Immune Tincture, you can take the garden tonic called "Fire Cider" (recipe can be found in my book, Beyond Wheat and Weeds, or do a quick online search for a similar recipe).
- Lypo-C - Super potent form of vitamin C that our body is able to readily utilize. 3-5 packets per day, as needed. Watch my video about Lypo-C here.
- Gua Sha - A technique where you massage the back in a specific way to help get rid of stagnant blood flow and boost the immune system. It's quite easy to do and the benefits are almost immediate.
- And, of course, lots of rest and fluids.
Note: I would do all of the above solutions if the flu hit.
One other hard-hitting option I'd consider for the flu is a mixture of essential oils (yes, Thieves might be a good one here too) but the mixture I'm thinking of consists specifically of thyme, clove and oregano. I've heard many people say great things about the efficacy of this remedy.
There are so many wonderful options we can turn to for the flu. One thing is clear - we aren't helpless once it comes to preventing or eliminating the flu from our system and we don't need the government to do it for us.
As always, I hope this information will be a blessing to you and your family,
The contents of this post are for informational purposes only and do not constitute medical advice; the Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.