Performing cardio exercises saturates the body with oxygen, trains the cardiovascular system, increases endurance and helps active fat burning. Achieving such a result is possible if a comprehensive approach is followed, which is why training is combined with appropriate nutrition. A special role is played by the quality and quantity of products consumed after performing cardio.
Rules of nutrition after cardio training
- No matter what, you should not starve after intense physical exertion. Not eating for at least 2 hours after exercise is a common myth of fashion magazines, which will not lead to accelerated weight loss, but to the appearance of bad mood, weakness, dizziness and destruction of the body’s muscles, which will negatively affect the overall tone of the body.
- Do not immediately after a cardio workout in a wave of famine eat food, as this can lead to overeating.
- The best option is to eat protein products 30-45 minutes after finishing the training.
- After 1.5-2 hours, or about an hour after protein is consumed, a full meal including complex carbohydrates can be taken.
- If cardio exercises are performed in the evening, it is better to replace complex carbohydrates after training with a lighter option (for example, vegetable salad with protein added).
Products recommended for fat burning under cardio
- Egg protein;
- protein, particularly serum (quick to digest);
- dietary types of meat:
- veal; chicken (fillet, liver);
- turkey (fillet, liver);
- cottage cheese.
If we are talking about nutrition after 1.5-2 hours after the end of cardio, slow carbohydrates with a low glycemic index are suitable (that is, they gradually release energy, their intake helps to restore quality):
- cereals (buckwheat, barley, pearl barley);
- porridge (ideal – oatmeal at the same time avoid semolina);
- rice (preferably brown or basmati);
- fresh or boiled vegetables (preferably steamed);
- pasta (made with whole-grain flour).
Can I eat right after my workout
Contrary to popular belief about the need for fasting after intense aerobic exercise to achieve the best effect when losing weight, it is necessary to eat after training.
- fasting after cardio can lead to sharp spikes in blood pressure, and that is, to a deterioration in well-being, dizziness, nausea, weakness. In some cases, loss of consciousness is possible.
- The body burns calories during the workout and for some time after it (15-25 minutes). For this reason, eating directly after training is undesirable, since the desired fat burning occurs. But prolonged fasting (3 hours or more) is inappropriate.
- Abstaining from the use of nutrients after cardio will contribute to the destruction of muscle cells, due to which the body will try to restore energy reserves.
What is better and healthier to eat: examples of meals
30-45 minutes after the end of the workout, the following options are the most suitable:
- 2-3 eggs in boiled form (the yolk is used at will, but if the main goal is to lose weight, it is better to use no more than one);
- омлет из 2 яиц и молока (жирность — до 2,5%, количество — 100—200 мл);
- whey protein (diluted in 200-250 ml of milk with a fat content of up to 2.5% or water, if the main goal is to lose weight);
- boiled, baked with seasonings or fried without oil half of a chicken breast;
- cottage cheese (100-200 g) with the addition of kefir, natural yogurt (ideal-Greek).
As for a full meal after 1.5-2 hours, the best fit:
- buckwheat porridge (40 g in dry form) and steamed chicken cutlet with the addition of vegetables;
- oatmeal porridge (50 g of flakes in dry form), prepared with milk (fat content up to 2.5%) or water (150-200 ml) and 70-100 g of cottage cheese (fat content up to 5%);
- wholemeal flour paste (40 g in dry form) and fried eggs, fried without oil.
Eating the right food is not only possible, but also necessary!
After cardio, you can’t only eat, but you also need to. The first meal should take place after 30-45 minutes after training and consist of protein products (meat, cottage cheese, eggs). The second meal is 1.5-2 hours after the end of cardio. It is necessary to eat more densely due to the use of slow carbohydrates (cereals, pasta, rice) and protein (meat, cottage cheese, eggs). Effective weight loss, as well as increasing the overall muscle tone and strengthening the cardiovascular system are possible only if these recommendations are followed.